U of M student wins $41,000 at College Poker Championship by Associated Press MINNEAPOLIS - A University of Minnesota student who was named the best college poker player in the world will receive a trophy and a $41,000 scholarship on Thursday. Chad Flood, 20, a junior from Fond du Lac, Wis., finished ahead of 25,000 players May 22 in the second annual College Poker Championship. "I thought it would be a long shot to win the whole thing since there are so many people in it," Flood said Wednesday. "I was pretty shocked for a while." Flood, an economics major, finished in the top 100 in last year's competition. He learned regular poker when he was in junior high but didn't start playing Texas Hold 'Em until three or four years ago. In college, Flood became more interested in Texas Hold 'Em, which has gained popularity after being featured on TV and played by celebrities. Flood also started playing the game online for money and read a few strategy books about it. "Playing a lot and reading the books - I just became better and better," he said. Although he's already reached the top for his age, Flood said he plans to play in the competition again next year and looks forward to turning 21, which will make him eligible to play in more competitions. "I'd like to compete in the World Poker Tour or World Series of Poker," he said. "Maybe I'll make some trips to Las Vegas and see how I do."
Thursday, June 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment